Sunday, November 2, 2008

Truth or Dare.....

Some of you may have heard of the recent movie, Fireproof. Some of you may have seen it; some may have sworn NOT to see it. I don't fit into either category. In fact, I plan to see it sometime.....who knows when....

My in laws came to visit yesterday and my mother-in-law brought a book "The Love Dare" for us. Seems that this book is connected to the movie....

I've always like dares, not the Truth or Dare type necessarily (who wants to run naked around the neighborhood when you're 13 anyway), but personal dares, do like those. So, I sat down last night to read a little bit. Seems that this book REALLY is a series of 40 days of reading with a dare attached to the end of each day. The book is, in it's own words, "about love. It's about learning and daring to live a life filled with loving relationships." It goes on to focus specifically on marriage. Okay, so if you're not in a marriage relationship DO NOT STOP READING. Because, as I scanned ahead and read each of the 40 dares (wanted to see what I might be getting myself in to), I saw how these dares will probably seep into my relationships with my boys, friends, family, etc. (True transformation normally does, and my prayer is that God does use this to teach me more about His love and that as I grow, I'll reflect His love more.) And, most of you I know have SOMEONE who fits into at least ONE of those categories.

So, thought I'd dive right in...

DAY ONE:
Love is Patient
"Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love. " Ephesians 4:2, The Bible

Book says, "Love is built on two pillars that best define what it is. Those pillars are patience and kindness. All other characteristics of love are extensions of these two attributes."

Book asks, "What would the tone and volume of your home be like if you tried this biblical approach: 'See that no one repays another with evil for evil, but always seek after that which is good for one another.'" I Thessalonians 5:15, The Bible

See what I'm saying, hello? How much different would our homes be if we and ours memorized and applied this scripture. If we consistently asked God to birth this truth in our heart and our children and our spouses. Wow! With this truth in mind, I would respond to disobedience with patient direction instead of anger. Or, one child might learn to respond more appropriately when his brother deliberately takes a toy he's playing with. Or, if one of us has had a crazy day and uses a hurtful tone, the other can respond in patient understanding instead of retaliating in frustration. After all, an unselfish, patient, response IS seeking what is good for those we love.

Okay, DARE NUMERO UNO
basically says, "Resolve to demonstrate patience and to say nothing negative to your spouse (child, loved one, etc.) at all. If the temptation arises, choose not to say anything. It's better to hold your tongue than to say something you'll regret."

So, I dare you to take the Love Dare too. I'll keep you posted on each day's dare. Let me know if you're along for the ride!

No comments: