Monday, November 3, 2008

Love is Kind

"Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you." Ephesians 4:32, The Bible

DAY TWO of my journey on The Love Dare

Book says,
Kindness can be broken down into four basic core ingredients: gentleness (speak the truth in love), helpfulness (meet the needs of the moment), willingness (look for ways to compromise and accomodate), and initiative (think ahead and then take the first step).

Book says/asks,
"The Bible describes a woman whose husband and children bless and praise her.....'She opens her mouth in wisdom, and the teaching of kindness is on her tongue' Proverbs 31:26. How about you? How would your loved one describe you on the kindness meter?"

Okay, when I looked at the 4 components of kindness, some come easier to me than others. This is how I think I rate:
  • Gentleness has always been a challenge for me. I'm just SO blunt. My dad used to (and probably would still) say I have diarrhea of the mouth. I know, I know, great visual, but it's true. My filter is sometimes turned to off and what I think just comes out. This can be great if I'm having wonderful, beautiful, loving thoughts. But, this can be SEVERELY problematic if I'm having selfish, judgmental, frustrated thoughts. There've been plenty of occasions when I look over at Daddy Bear to see my diarrhea (not literally) spewed all over him. So, this is an area I need growth.
  • Helpfulness. 3 out of 5 stars. I try to have household stuff under control, can find something we need from 5 years ago, make sure school stuff is taken care of for the kids, etc. etc. But, there ARE times when I see the needs of the moments and choose not to respond.
  • Willingness ....agreeable, cooperative, and flexible. When I want to be. Strike 2.
  • Initiative. This has always been an area that I feel strong. I think of myself as a go getter. But again, as I'm looking at this from the perspective of caring for another, I could use some work. I don't have a problem initiating ANYTHING when there's something to be gained. And, I feel like I do good at initiating for our family, but need to revive some of my skills from yesteryear when it comes to my Hunka Burnin' Love.

So, DARE NUMERO DOS says "in addition to saying nothing negative to your spouse again today, do at least one unexpected gesture as an act of kindness."

I'm actually reading the chapters/dares the night before "the day". So, today is my Day 2. And! Today is the day Cracker Barrel is starting their holiday pie season. Perfect for me!

We somehow discovered this last year. My honey can sniff out a pecan pie 10 miles away (in fact, when we were dating, I sent him the ingredients and recipe for a pecan pie since we lived in different places....SEE I used to have initiative skills), so that's probably how this discovery of all Fall discoveries came to us.

So, for DARE NUMERO DOS I've ordered a pecan pie for desert tonight. I'll pick it up in about an hour and have it ready for consumption ASAP. If you want to incorporate this into your daring or just want pie, they have pecan, apple pecan, and apple. They're cheapish too...around $8. Give 'em a call.

One last thought from the book...."love in its truest sense is not based on feelings. Rather, love determines to show thoughtful actions even when there seems to be no reward."

I Dare You!

No comments: