Friday, May 15, 2009

These are a few of my favorite things...

Yesterday my beloved vacuum went into cardiac arrest.  I tried to save it, I really did.  Took every screw out and cleaned it as I went. At this point, I have the cleanest dead vacuum you'll ever see.  Maybe Ernie'll work some magic on it this weekend and find the blockage.

This incident inspired a facebook status which resulted in a comment from my friend Ahren which elicited a blog idea from me.  So, here it is!

My FAVORITE cleaning tasks...
  1. Vacuuming.  I really do love to vacuum.  I think I can trace the love back to a house we lived in from late elementary to early high school that had the carpet you could tell had been vacuumed.  You know the velvety kind that leaves the vacuum stripes.  These days, I feel like vacuuming just makes a whole room look SO much cleaner.  You can't get any more bang for your buck (or time) than a good once over!
  2. Laundry.  In spite of the fact that I perpetually leave clothes in the washer and have to rewash them, doing laundry IS enjoyable for me.  Nothing like the look of an empty laundry bin.  Not to mention, the feel of multitasking.  Like now, I'm doing laundry, put the baby down for a nap, went to the bathroom, blogging, and about to get dressed and wipe down the bathroom.
  3. Sweeping the kitchen floor.  Easy.  Quick.  Voila!
  4. Wiping down the kitchen counter.  Getting to the counter is the first feat (and not so enjoyable....after all you have to find a place to put all that stuff), but then the feel of empty, CLEAN kitchen counters.  Tranquility!
  5. Cleaning the windows.  I didn't notice windows a day in my life until I had a dog the size of a Shetland Pony with a nose as dirty as a pair of shoes.  This furry head has most windows in our house dirty at all times.  So, for the five minutes immediately after cleaning, they look like a million bucks.
  6. My children cleaning up after themselves.  Okay, I like the tasks above, but really, my FAVORITE of them all has got to be this one.  There's nothing like a clean result without doing it yourself.  Granted, at this point, I still have to come behind and vacuum or sort out the homeless toys they pile on top of the toy shelves.  But, they both do an EXCELLENT job of cleaning.  They don't always do it the first time with a joyful heart, but after some slight redirection, produce a gleaming result!
 Now onto the getting dressed thing.......

1 comment:

Jessica the Jacked LDS said...

yea all those things make me happy but not when I have to do them.

i think this post has inspired me to hire a cleaning service. think of how happy i'd be every two weeks?