Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Thrifty Eskimo

I L.O.V.E. thrift stores. Always have. Always will. Garage sales and flea markets too.

In fact, when Ernie and I were in a newlyweds class at church after we were first married, we played "The Newlywed Game" (without the whoopie :). One of the questions was "Where is your wife's favorite place to shop?" I scoured my brain to come up with what he might perceive as my fav. "Michael's" was my answer. "Thrift Stores" was his. He was RIGHT and I was wrong!

ALOT of our things have been bought off clearance racks/sections or at thrift stores and garage sales (fewer here...i don't have the time to drive all over creation). And, everyone is healthy, happy, and well adjusted....most days anyway.

I stopped by a local store about a month ago (1/25 to be exact) and got some good stuff. Nothing, except the break it gave me, was necessary, but things we DEFINITELY are using.

Here's what I found!

$1.91--- Fisher Price Dog Xylophone (retails at $24.99)
$1.91--- Sesame Street Pop Up Pals (retails at $21.99)
$1.41--- Fisher Price Farm Pop Up (est. retail $19.99--it's retired as far as I can tell)
$ .99--- 18-24 mth Boy Gymboree Jeans (retail $28.75)
$1.91--- 18-24 mth Jeans (Don't remember brand. Dane's asleep & I'm NOT disturbing---est. $12)
$1.91--- Carter Fleece Sleeper (retails at $17.00)
$1.91--- Boy Swim Trunks (est. retail $14.00)
$2.92--- Osh Kosh Boy Shorts (est. retail $15)
_______
$16.10 for GOOD stuff with an estimated retail value of $153.72

BE INSPIRED! BE CHEAP! SAVE MUCH!

4 comments:

Goodnight moon said...

Awesome!!!!! I love it!!!! But, I never have gotten why they always put the last amount, with 1cents? How long did it take you to look up all the retail amounts?!?

Anonymous said...

I'm with you, girlfriend! I love getting an armload of toys for the kids and only spend a couple bucks.
Then we just put them back in the Goodwill box and re-donate.

Kelly

Anonymous said...

I'm with you, girlfriend! I love getting an armload of toys for the kids and only spend a couple bucks.
Then we just put them back in the Goodwill box and re-donate.

Kelly

Bonnie said...

Dude, no joke, I went to the base thrift store last week and this was my loot:

1 pair of super cute shoes for me
1 pair of super cute shoes for Emma
1 Star Wars book for Cooper
1 Sit and Spin (with batteries)
1 pair of Military trousers for Dave

Grand Total: $7.10

I love me some thrift store loot!