Thursday, November 5, 2009

T minus 21

We are in November (5 days already...slllooooowwww done month!) and that means it'll be Thanksgiving before we know it (21 days, to be specific!).

I'm not a favorites person (I'm pretty sure I've said that before). Please don't ask me to choose my favorite holiday because I just can't. I like different things about each of them. I CAN say, though, that the food on Thanksgiving has to be my favorite.

Growing up, there were specific dishes you could always expect on my family's Thanksgiving dinner table. Oyster dressing at my Granny and Papaw's (blek!!....I think it's a boy thing), hashbrown casserole & turkey frame soup at my Grandma and Grandpa's, and CRANBERRY FLUFF at our house.

Cranberry Fluff...just the name starts me salivating. Looking at the recipe card makes my heart pitter patter. With me in the house, there are no leftovers. Thanksgiving IS the fluff!

Seeing as though I'm convinced that you haven't had Thanksgiving until you've tried the fluff of the gods. I absolutely refuse to leave you hanging in desperation. I will share my top secret recipe.

Cranberry Fluff
(also known as Cranberry Waldorf.....way too ritsy and old womanish sounding for my taste)

12 oz bag of cranberries
3 cups miniature marshmallows
3/4 c sugar
2 cups unpeeled red apples
1/2 c broken walnuts
1/4 t salt
1 c whipping cream (1/2 pt)

Grind (blend) cranberries to assorted sizes, not to a pulp. Part of the fun is the small chunks of cranberries.
Mix cranberries with marshmallows & sugar. Cover and chill overnight.
Add diced apples, walnuts, & salt.
Fold in whipping cream. Chill.

WARNING: This is a pink marshmallow thing. BUT, I would not steer you the wrong direction, I promise. I avoid orange, green, & yellow cottage cheesey, gelatiny, marshmallowey dishes like the plague. I am a fairly adventurous eater, but all that stuff, I canNOT even talk myself into trying. This one is different, really, it is. It is sweet yet tangy, crunchy yet chewy. It's just the "fluff".

What are the dishes that drive you to your Thanksgiving table?

2 comments:

Jessica the Jacked LDS said...

i refuse to believe you wouldn't steer me in the wrong direction. i seem to recall SOMEone suggesting i try fire cheetos and then only AFTER the trial period was i warned about red poo.

Lil Eskimo said...

i'm laughing SO hard right now.

my verification word is "belly" ....laugh, button, stretchy belly.